Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ginger the Great.

Originally posted by Compartilhamento de fotos!

Been blogging as a cuppa tee now for nearly three weeks, so I suppose it's about time I actually blog about tea!

It all started last night... Not sure if I just devoured my dinner too quickly, or 'twas jittery nerves as I await important emails from job prospects and cute boys, but I had a tummy ache :(

The solution: Homemade Ginger Tea. Conveniently I had a whole bunch of ginger root just sitting around from my poule au pot au feu...

Here's what I did...
  1. I brought about 4 cups (1L) of water to a boil in a saucepan.
  2. Took about a 2-inch chunk of ginger root, peeled it and cut into thin slices . By the way do you know the trick to peeling ginger? Gently rubbing the skin off with a teaspoon. Works like a charm!
  3. Add ginger slices to boiling water, cover and let simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. (I also added a tablespoon of turbinado sugar a.k.a. raw sugar at this step, since I didn't have honey to sweeten at completion.)
  4. You can strain the tea, or if you're impatient like me ladle the the tea into your favourite mug and squeeze in fresh lemon to taste.
  5. Enjoy ;)
Spicy and invigorating, a cuppa homemade ginger tea did just the trick!

Ginger by FotoosVanRobin

Not just a tummy ache remedy, did you know "in ancient China, ginger was regarded as a healing gift from God. Ginger has an ornate, long history of both culinary and medicinal use in Chinese, Japanese and Indian medicines?"

Check out these facts I discovered when looking for cool photos of ginger...
1. Good for the respiratory system: ginger treats coughs, asthma, bronchitis, and helps to clear sore throats.

2. Strengthens the immune system's ability to fight infections and lowers fevers.

3. Relieves headaches, toothaches and backaches

4. It is believed that ginger root juice is able to dissolve kidney stones.

5. Offers substantial protection from stroke and heart attack because of its ability to prevent blood clotting. It reduces serum cholesterol, which can slow down circulation.

6. Effective in geting rid of motion/ morning sickness, gas, swelling, and diarrhea, upset stomach and indigestion. It stimulates appetite.

7. Stimulates circulation so it is good for cold hands and feet.
The list goes and on, and can be found here.

Happy Tummy Ache-Free Tuesday!

xo,
tee.

PS - Candied ginger is even better than that those adorable spicy little red cinnamon hearts from Valentine's Day ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis